Monday 30 April 2012

The Brazen Spindle

Time once more for my bi-wheneverly update to this blog! Yes real life has jumped up and kicked me right in the teeth once more, overwhelming my time and my sense of creativity as it throws more crap at me. Also a lot of good things too, but they just need a hell of a lot more effort to achieve!

So today I bring you a review of The Brazen Spindle by T.R. Pippin.


This has to be quite honestly one of the best tales of magic, fairy tale worlds and gender altering spells I have come across. Hell even without the last bit it would have been a damn fine read!

The author was able to craft a fantasy world that was both in depth, well thought out and almost alive in the way it was set out. The scenes were set so well that it was easy to imagine them in your mind as you read the text. The characters are well crafted and not the frankly horrible two dimensional ones you often find in modern fiction.

All the characters explore what it means to be of each gender, the expectations one has to deal with, the challenges it brings and even the differences in generations as new ideas and thoughts come into play. The main character is almost trapped by the expectations and beliefs of the age he/she was brought up in and the thoughts and desires of her new body. After all, it certainly takes a lot of working out as to just how you need to be when you're a penniless skilled weaver turned cow turned beautiful woman!

I enjoyed it from start to finish, the sort of period drama that I would love to see more of, but the style that most authors would be afraid to write. The bad guy is a total cad, which is as lovely as it always is especially when they get what is coming to them, the friends of the protagonist are the type you'd like to have yourself and it has the usual selection of uppity types period tales are packed to the gunwales with. Well no gunwales in this book, that sort of thing is left for Hornblower!

So if you're looking for a book to spend a rainy day with (which there have been a lot of over on this side of the Atlantic of late!) then this is a great one to pick up and have a giggle with!

Five out of five.



The Brazen Spindle by T. R. Pippin

Available from Smashwords.com

1 comment:

  1. Well, goodness me. They say an author should never comment on reviews, but I can't help but be flattered. Glad you liked this strange tale that floated across my brain-- especially tickled that you liked the historic elements. I think you really got what I was trying to say, and that's all an author could ever ask for. Thanks again for the kind words. TR

    ReplyDelete